Pages

Friday, June 1, 2012

Dr Malizia, this blog, Bob Geldof and Her Majesty's Diamond jubilee


First of all thank you for inviting me to write something- I will make my contribution a regular one and I will reflect upon aspects of treatment refractory depression or psychopharmacology.

While this blog site has been started to help people who will be abandoned by the unilateral decision of the Avon and Wiltshire Partnership NHS Trust not to support our twenty-two year old psychopharmacology clinic, I will make no direct comments about it. I am still trying to find alternative solutions and a polemical approach may distress potential ‘white knights’.

As we approach a long bank holiday week-end for Her Majesty’s diamond jubilee, I thought I would post my first blog for this site. People around the country are preparing for a ‘fun break’. I am also aware that this could be one of the worst times for people with severe and chronic depression. The inability to feel alive, described by someone recently as ‘being like a piece of furniture that is capable of breathing and excreting’ can become even more painful when others expect the ’normal’ range of emotional reactivity. I know many of you will be either steer clear of contacts or put on a ‘brave face’ and feel exhausted afterwards.

I have worked in this field for about 25 years and what is clear to me is that the ‘local’ problem is the product of generic misinformation and misunderstanding complicated by the peculiarities of the modern NHS. So while I have seen some progress in the treatment of chronic and severe depression/anxiety or of disorders of sleep/wakefulness in other countries, the situation has become even worse in England; GPs report great difficulty in getting help from secondary care for these disorders. This gap is compounded by ‘therapeutic nihilism’ whereby even the secondary services who take on people with these conditions soon say that ‘nothing else’ can be done.

I went to see Bob Geldof perform with the ‘new Boomtownrats’ at St George’s in Bristol on Tuesday night. It was great  and it made me reflect upon the fact that nobody has taken on the illness of depression as being something worth shouting about and getting money for in spite the fact that when severe and or chronic it has enormous impact on people’s lives. I have many explanation for this which can be grouped into
            the nature of the illness,
            what the public thinks of depression
            how people and relatives feel when they have this illness
            perceptions about treatments and outcomes.

Next blog is going to explore these; in the meantime contribute, if you can, by commenting on the above. If you want to read something else relevant go to http://www.colorsmagazine.com/stories/magazine/83/story/switch-on-your-brightest-smile  I am sure that you will identify easily with it.

Keep up the fight

andrea malizia


No comments: