Pages

Friday, July 6, 2012

Sounds familiar? Medication that works will be stopped...


This has been forwarded (anonymised and with permission)- this is an issue that will affect many people attending the clinic. In no other specialty would this be allowed when medicines have helped. The cost for these two is a maximum of  £ 2500 per year assuming that there are no discounts or parallel imports. What is the cost of being unable to work and not paying tax? And of being on benefits? What is the cost of despair and suicide?

Dear Dr Malizia,

Firstly let me say how horrified I am to hear of your redundancy and of the forthcoming closure of the Psychopharmacology clinic, which I'm sure has been responsible both for saving lives and restoring quality of life to many, including myself.

I received your letter asking if I wanted a review, but on a purely practical note I am unlikely to get myself out to Southmead; it may sound pathetic but it's a step too far for me, it's too far out of my 'norm', my little world.

I have a problem in that the clinic is currently prescribing me both 10 mg of Aripiprazole and 50 mg of Agomelatine daily, and I understand  that my GP will be unable to prescribe this, although I was hoping the situation might have changed with the Agomelatine?

I assume this means I will have to drop the medication, given that I am unable to get myself out to Southmead for a review, and given that the clinic is closing in Sept anyway.

So how should I best go about it? I have 5 weeks medication left; should I just half the current dosage until I run out? Is that the best way to do it?

Again, my commiserations on your redundancy. Thank you so much for all the help and care you have given me in the past, and best wishes for your future.

No comments: